This morning I was planning for pie-making-and-eating all day so I went to my boot camp class and then hopped around to three different grocery stores trying to get everything on my list. The guy at the Yes! Organic Market didn’t know what Harissa was, well apparently he thought I was asking for Clarissa, so that went downhill fast. When I was at Safeway, the lady trying to help me thought Matcha powder was a type of Gatorade. Hey thanks lady, you’re useless but ingenious, and Gatorade should probably take note. By the time I got home, unpacked my bags and tetrised my goodies into the fridge, it was too late to begin making any pies. Instead, I pretended I was eating banana cream pie while eating Steve’s Ice Cream (Southern Banana Pudding) from the carton; it’s good, but didn’t knock my socks off like the Coffee Cinnamon. Seriously, I’d give away my left pinkie for a free lifetime supply of that Coffee Cinnamon ice cream. (It’s gluten-free and dairy-free and insane!)
Since I didn’t get around to baking any pies today in celebration of Pi(e) day, it’s a perfect time to share the little apple pies I made for a coworker’s birthday a couple weeks ago. Consider them my little pinch pies, and I really wish I was eating one right now.
Apple cheesecake isn’t really a thing and I think it should be. Another thing going for these is the crust. It’s not just ordinary pie crusts. It’s cake!! I was originally making a vanilla cake and changed my mind on the recipe halfway through, so of course I screwed it up. The cake didn’t rise all the way but it tasted great and I didn’t want to toss it. I’m not telling anyone to try to bake a (failed) cake just to make these, but if you happen to screw up a layer cake (like, you didn’t realize your baking soda was expired!) and are just so over making cake balls… make cake-pie-crusts! But if you’re Taylor Swift perfect and never fail or the thought of cake-pie-crust stresses you out, I understand, you could also just use a regular pie crust or graham cracker crust for the base.
Mini Apple Pie with Whipped Cheesecake Recipe
4 cups (Failed) Vanilla Cake Scraps, refrigerated pie crust cut into 4″ circles or graham cracker crust
where can i buy clomid 100mg Apple Filling
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. In another bowl, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy, 2-3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Fold in the whipped cream. Chill at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to use, scoop into a piping bag or Ziplock bag with tip cut off.
- Combine the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and butter in a large saucepan and bring to a boil until apples are tender about 10 minutes. Use immersion blender to break down apples until sauce is chunky. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a medium bowl, beat cake scraps on low speed for a few minutes to break them down. You should be able to roll scraps in a ball with ease. If you can’t, add 2 tbsp melted butter and mix. Press cake scraps into greased mini muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- If using refrigerated pie crusts, roll out the dough, cut into 4″ circles and press into mini muffin tins. Pre-bake the crust at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Scoop apple filling into cooled crusts, pipe cheesecake filling on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.